What I Packed: Vancouver

Here is my packing list for my trip to Vancouver...

Days: 5
Weather: Winter weather, with temperatures between 32 and 48*F, and a couple days of rain.
Conditions: lots of walking in a city, snowboarding, and a couple bar nights

The items listed below include what I wore on my person during the flight to the destination. Per usual, I packed carry-on only. It was only 5 days, after all!

I only brought a large backpack and a mini backpack purse.

I like to pack my things in smaller bags to make everything more organized. I used my packing cubes again which helped me save on space. Organization is key!

Here is how I split everything up among my backpack and purse.

Backpack Purse:
  • movies on USB drives to entertain me on the long flights
  • SD card to USB converter (to look at pictures on my tablet)
  • 2 pens
  • camera and case, with 4 extra batteries and 2 extra memory cards
  • reusable shopping bag 
  • sunglasses
  • mini notepad (with addresses of my friends so I can send postcards)
  • lip balm
  • Starbucks giftcard (I don't even like Starbucks, but I occasionally get them, and then save them for free eats at the airport)
  • reusable earplugs (much more eco-friendly than those disposable ones!)
  • solid perfume (great for when you're verging on 5 days without bathing)
  • small pill case with prescription meds, vitamins and ibuprofen
  • glasses/glasses case
  • 2 bandanas (multi-purpose!)
  • passport (duh!!!)
  • boarding passes
  • the usuals (phone, wallet, keys)


On My Person:


Carry-On Backpack:

Exterior backpack clips:

Main and side compartments:
  • kleenex* 
  • chelsea boots for going out (similar)
  • deck of cards 
  • umbrella
  • cookies (a gift for Tom)
  • 3 extra ziploc quart size bags
  • extra pair of sunglasses (If mine break, I don't wanna buy more if I have a spare)
  • plastic bag for dirty laundry
  • Soft fabric cosmetic bag with zipper used for snacks: dark chocolate, almonds and tea
  • Chrysalis Cardi, rolled up in the back zipper compartment
  • over-the-ear headphones with microphone ($5 bin at Target)

"Clothing" Packing Cube
  • 3 pairs of socks
  • 5 pairs of underwear (no fancy "travel underwear" necessary, just go to the 5 for $25 at Victoria's Secret and pick out mesh, lace, or a quick dry Nylon blend, since you'll be doing hand-wash)
  • 2 bralettes (the packable solution to a regular bra)
  • bikini (always. you just never ever know)
  • fleece-lined tights (similar)
  • short sleeve dress shirt
  • long sleeve cotton shirt
  • pajama pants
  • thermal tank (for a sleep shirt, or for accidental extra layering when you don't have time to take it off)
  • sash for Chrysalis Cardi

"Practical" Items Packing Cube:
  • gorilla pod tripod*
  • camera battery charger
  • tablet charger*
  • earbuds*
  • phone charger
  • camera to USB cord (in case my SD card reader fails me)
  • running belt to use as money belt (go to the $5 bin at Target for a knockoff)
  • small purse for going out at night
  • dress pants/leggings
  • cashmere cardigan (for dressy and warm layering)
  • kimono cardigan
  • dress
  • extra packing cube (in case I needed it)
  • toiletry bag (see below)



Toiletry Bag:
  • pocket flashlight* (great for when you need to pack in the wee hours)
  • mini deodorant
  • extra contacts case and pair of contacts
  • cornstarch (multi-use: as dry shampoo, or as baby powder)
  • sunscreen stick
  • floss (in a pinch can be used as sewing thread!)
  • moleskin and bandaids
  • compressed towels (you never know when you may need them, and they're especially handy for heavy makeup removal)
  • hairclip
  • barrette
  • bar soap in a small mint tin
  • small jewelry pouch: hoop earrings, dangly earrings, 1 pair of studs, one short necklace
  • lipstick and lip liner
  • brown eye pencil
  • eye shadow and brush
  • mascara
  • chapstick
  • Melatonin tablets (Talk to your doctor. I got them in case I needed to get my body on the right sleep schedule.)
  • Ciproflaxin, aka anti-diarrhea medication. (I got prescribed these before Central Asia and I've never had to use them. But the moment you don't have them when you need them...that would be a problem.) 
  • eye mask
  • shower cap
  • wide tooth comb
  • compact hair brush (similar)
  • compact travel towel
  • DIY sewing kit
  • extra pill case with additional prescription meds, vitamins, ibuprofen, and antihistamines

Ziploc Quart-size bag of liquids:
  • artificial tears/eyedrops
  • liquid peppermint castile soap (it's body wash, toothpaste, laundry detergent, deodorant...ALL IN ONE)
  • contacts case
  • mini conditioner (I have purple hair...I gotta use fancy stuff to keep it lookin' good!)
  • contact solution
  • toothbrush
  • liquid makeup
  • sunscreen (it's just sunscreen, but also works as hand lotion or face lotion)
  • homemade cream (it's face cream, makeup remover, hand cream, and lip balm ALL IN ONE)
  • hand warmers

Backpack back flat pocket:
  • Bust magazine
  • notebook
  • tablet computer* -- on it, a couple movies, all my hostel information, saved maps of the area, transit directions and itineraries for travel

Poly file envelope (it doesn't rip even after heavy use)
  • small envelope for receipts
  • 1 photocopy front/back of each: driver's license, debit cards, credit cards, health insurance card
  • 2 extra passport photos (you never know when you may need them)
  • photocopy of passport (always carry one on you in case the real thing gets stolen)
  • train ticket
  • maps (I put them in this folder as I accumulate them)

*Upon arriving at my destination, I transferred these items to my daypack/backpack purse or on my person to carry around with me all day.



Comments