Travel DIY: Sewing Kit

A sewing kit is extremely practical to have, and some of the items in there don't even require sewing skills to use!


For my recent trip to the Baltics, I created a sewing kit from an old matchbox so I could have peace of mind while pushing the limits of the durability of all of my clothing. I'm proud to say it wasn't a useless packing choice, as I used it to fix up a pair of socks that unfortunately developed some holes.

With only a few pairs of socks, one pair out of commission wasn't an option. This sewing kit is so convenient that it's silly not to pack it.

In less than ten minutes you'll have your sewing kit ready to go!





You will need:

  • A matchbox
  • washi tape
  • sewing needle
  • thread
  • small piece of thin cardboard 
  • scissors
  • safety pins
  • fashion tape


Instructions:

  1. Add washi tape to the outside of the match box in a decorative pattern.
  2. Cut the piece of cardboard to fit into the matchbox, with some wiggle room. Cut triangular notches on the long ends (four on each side for four thread colors, five for five, etc). Cut a slit on one of the shorter ends.
  3. Wrap thread around the notches, and tuck the threads into the slit on the side.
  4. Tuck the needle into the threads and place this into the matchbox. 
  5. Trim the fashion tape to fit into the box, place them into the matchbox.
  6. Add the safety pins and you're all done!
Now you have a super-convenient, carry-on friendly sewing kit (in the four flights I was on, not once was I stopped). 




Comments