What I Packed: Baltics

Here is my packing list for my solo trip to the Baltics...

Days: Eleven
Weather: Fall weather with some light rain, in general days of 65-75*F and nights cooling to as low as 50*F
Conditions: lots of walking in a city and a couple bar crawls
Pieces of luggage: One backpack and one backpack-style purse (to use as daypack)

The items listed are including what I wore on my person during the flight to the destination. I didn't have as much room as I did during my Central Asia trip, but I also didn't buy many souvenirs. It was more important to me to travel lightly since I was constantly packing up and moving to a new destination.

Another note: I could easily use what I packed here for a 20- or even a 30-day trip...I would take the same amount of items (with more shampoo and conditioner) but it would require me to do more laundry.


I like to pack my things in smaller bags to make everything more organized. For this trip, I used my new packing cubes for the first time that I received for my birthday (thanks, Mom & Dad!), which helped me save on space. All of my clothes fit into one little cube, and I could stuff more in there if I needed! Packing cubes are good, albeit a little dangerous, since you might just want to pack more than you need just because you can!

Here is how I split everything up among my backpack and purse.


Backpack Purse:
  • movies on USB drives to entertain me on the long flights
  • SD card to USB converter (to look at pictures on my tablet)
  • 2 pens
  • camera and case, with 4 extra batteries and 2 extra memory cards
  • reusable shopping bag (this came in handy when I needed to carry my tablet with me, or go to the farmer's market)
  • sunglasses
  • mini notepad (with addresses of my friends so I can send postcards)
  • granola bar
  • lip balm
  • Starbucks giftcard (I don't even like Starbucks, but I occasionally get them, and then save them for free eats at the airport)
  • reusable earplugs (much more eco-friendly than those disposable ones!)
  • solid perfume
  • small pill case with prescription meds, vitamins and ibuprofen
  • Point-It book (in case I need to buy some horse sausage in a language I don't know)
  • glasses/glasses case
  • over-the-ear headphones with microphone ($5 bin at Target)
  • bandana (multi-purpose!)
  • passport (duh!!!)
  • boarding passes
  • the usuals (phone, wallet, keys)


On My Person:
  • Chrysalis Cardi (as a scarf)
  • Timberland hiking boots (Similar)
  • chambray longsleeve shirt
  • short sleeve active tee (similar)
  • black skinny jeans
  • 2 pairs of socks
  • 1 pair underwear
  • convertible bra
  • compass (clipped onto hairtie) --Shoutout to Nicolette for the most-used birthday present ever! THANKS!


Carry-On Backpack:

Exterior backpack clips:
  • compact water bottle, clipped to the outside*
  • spare carabiner clip
  • cute little luggage lock (acquired in Copenhagen)
  • Packing Cube containing
    • Toiletry Bag (see below for details)
    • Faux leather jacket

Toiletry Bag:
  • toothbrush
  • mini deodorant
  • extra contacts case and pair of contacts
  • cornstarch (multi-use: as dry shampoo, or as baby powder)
  • sunscreen stick
  • floss (in a pinch can be used as sewing thread!)
  • moleskin and bandaids
  • additional ear plugs (for providing to bunk mates, in apology for sneaking in late last night)
  • compressed towels (you never know when you may need them, and they're especially handy for heavy makeup removal)
  • hairclip
  • barrette
  • small jewelry pouch: dangly earrings, 2 pairs of studs, one long necklace, one short.
  • lipstick and lip liner
  • brown eye pencil
  • eye shadow and brush
  • mascara
  • chapstick
  • Melatonin tablets (Talk to your doctor. I got them in case I needed to get my body on the right sleep schedule. Never used them once.)
  • Ciproflaxin, aka anti-diarrhea medication. (I got prescribed these before Central Asia and I've never had to use them. But the moment you don't have them when you need them...that would be a problem.) 
  • eye mask
  • shower cap
  • wide tooth comb
  • compact hair brush (acquired in Copenhagen, similar)
  • compact travel towel
  • DIY sewing kit
  • sink stopper (for doing laundry in sinks)
  • doorstop (I saw the tip on here, but it never came in handy)
  • extra pill case with additional prescription meds, vitamins, ibuprofen, and antihistamines
  • cough drops (can never ever EVER have enough)

Main and side compartments:
  • umbrella*
  • kleenex*
  • homemade oatmeal mix in a jar (a mix of quick oats, maple sugar, dried cranberries and nuts. Functions as a free breakfast on the go...all I need is hot water)
  • chelsea boots for going out (similar)
  • deck of cards (for making friends at hostels!)
  • 3 extra ziploc quart size bags
  • extra pair of sunglasses (If mine break, I don't wanna buy more if I have a spare)
  • plastic bag for dirty laundry
  • Ziploc gallon snack bag: 10 tea bags, 4 energy bars, 2 small boxes of dried cranberries


"Practical" Items Packing Cube:
  • sleep sheet in drawstring bag, also containing padlock (for hostel lockers) and pillow case
  • gorilla pod tripod*
  • camera battery charger
  • tablet charger*
  • international plug converters
  • foreign phone and charger (which I discovered was of no use to me on this trip)
  • earbuds*
  • camera to USB cord (in case my SD card reader fails me)
  • pocket flashlight* (great for when you need to pack in the wee hours)
  • running belt to use as money belt (go to the $5 bin at Target for a knockoff)
  • small purse for going out at night
  • extra packing cube, rolled up (never needed it, but it fortunately didn't take up a lot of room)


"Clothing" Packing Cube (yes, this all fit into ONE):
  • 4 pairs of socks
  • 8 pairs of underwear (no fancy "travel underwear" necessary, just go to the 5 for $25 at Victoria's Secret and pick out mesh, lace, or a quick dry Nylon blend, since you'll be doing hand-wash)
  • light scarf (to wear when my Chrysalis Cardi is being used as a dress and I need extra warmth)
  • 2 bras
  • tights
  • sash for Chrysalis Cardi
  • long sleeve travel shirt (similar)
  • dress pants/leggings
  • bikini
  • yoga capris (to use as pajama pants/lounge wear)
  • flip flops (for hostel showering)

Ziploc Quart-size bag of liquids:
  • artificial tears/eyedrops
  • hand sanitizer*
  • liquid peppermint castile soap (it's body wash, toothpaste, laundry detergent, deodorant...ALL IN ONE)
  • contacts case
  • mini shampoo and conditioner (I have blue hair...I gotta use fancy stuff to keep it lookin' good!)
  • contact solution
  • sunscreen (it's just sunscreen, but also works as hand lotion or face lotion)
  • homemade cream (it's face cream, makeup remover, hand cream, and lip balm ALL IN ONE)

Backpack back flat pocket:
  • Wired magazine
  • book (I chose The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath...but being so busy, I got through about 6 pages)
  • notebook
  • tablet computer* -- on it, a couple movies, all my hostel information, saved maps of the area around my hostels, transit directions and itineraries for travel

Poly file envelope (it doesn't rip even after heavy use)
  • currency card/language phrase reference card*
  • small envelope for receipts
  • 1 photocopy front/back of each: driver's license, debit cards, credit cards, health insurance card
  • 2 extra passport photos (you never know when you may need them)
  • photocopy of passport (to distribute to daypack, backpack and mini purse)
  • ferry, train, airplane, bus tickets and itineraries
  • hostel information
  • maps (I put them in this folder as I accumulate them)

*Upon arriving at my destination, I transferred these items to my daypack/backpack purse or on my person to carry around with me all day.




Comments